Sunday 20 March 2016

Tour groups, and why I'm not a good groupie.

As you know, I generally travel on my own. But from time to time I join a group - on this trip it was impossible to visit the rainforest or take a boat round the Galapagos Islands without joining a group. And since I've been home a few people have asked how I managed the group-thing.

I'll not, here, write about those groups in particular. Rather I'll think about travelling groups in general. From which it might become evident that I'm really not a groupy sort of person.

I know all groups are different. But some attract a set of participants who slot into predictable roles. Firstly, the person who irritates me more than anything is the one who doesn't listen. Not only do they not listen, they make a point of making sure everyone knows they've not listened by asking, loudly, just as we are returning to our rooms, 'WHAT TIME DID SHE SAY BREAKFAST IS TOMORROW.' Someone will reply, of course, as most of us are polite, only to get the follow-on question, 'SO WHEN ARE WE LEAVING ... DO I NEED WALKING BOOTS OR SANDALS.' By which time I've slipped away.

But, you say, I am being uncharitable. Maybe this person has a hearing problem. Then why, should his or her name pass your lips when you are half a table away and facing the other way and  everyone is drinking and laughing, do they call out, 'HEY, DID I HEAR MY NAME ...' No, this is a person who makes a profession of not listening.

Secondly, there's the smoker. I do understand that some people are addicted, need to light up, etc etc. But this is the person who, every time we stop, steps away front the group, puffs away for five minutes and then rejoins us, whiffs of smoke still seeping from his or her nostrils, only to say, 'What have I missed?'

Thirdly, the people who never stop talking. Ever. As if they can only justify their own existence by hearing the sound of their own voices. In my limited experience the people with the most interesting stories are those who say the least.

On a walk, there are those who must be first, and those who are always last.

Me - you can see that I'm the grumbly one in the corner. Actually, it's not quite like that. I'm the grumbly one in the corner with the notebook. And the most interesting people often ask what I'm writing about, and some give me permission to tell their stories. The others find their way into blogs like this!

10 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I have not been on a tour group but I now exactly what you mean as those types of people are found everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they are - and can generally be avoided! But gathered together they get right up my nose!

      Delete
  2. I can feel your grumbling from here, Jo. I've never been on a group tour, but I have a feeling I'd be grumpy about the same things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, grumpy??? Hard to imagine, Val - but they might strain even your patience!

      Delete
  3. I'm not a good groupie either. I'm not a joiner. I've never been on a tour group before but I'd like to at least once for the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, Karen - and let us know how you get on!

      Delete
  4. I've only been in tour groups with Israelis and they're a different species. Yes, there are those you've described, but they're all so much more than that. It's fun to stand back and experience them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And so continues the differences between us. I much prefer organised group tours. I know and recognise all those people who you've mentioned but groups are great for those who know nothing about an area and for those who are travelling alone but feel uncomfortable about it. No, I'll opt for groups every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Ros - many people find groups the most comfortable way to travel, and I can be a grumpy old git at times (my words, you are far to polite to even think anything like that!)

      Delete
  6. I'm that person at the top of your hitlist. My only excuse is that being baffled is a lifetime problem for me. I was always the kid at school who never knew what classroom I was supposed to be in. Perhaps I really don't listen ... well, there is always the chance that my parents and teachers were right....

    ReplyDelete