Sunday 21 April 2013

Writing groups - in their diversity and wonderfulness!

This post has grown out of a twitter-chat: Emma Pass and I were wittering about our writing groups and it was clear that we both value them, but they are organised differently. So we decided to write this together, post it on both our blogs at the same time, and see what happened!

Which got me wondering whether it's the structure of a group that matters, or the fact that it is an opportunity to work collectively with people we trust.

I go to a group that used to call itself a Life Writing Group. It is organised by a woman who also teaches with the OU; she brings an exercise or two, gives us homework, and generally keeps us in order. A year or so ago we spent a lot of time talking about memory and how to reframe that into something literate. We laughed (and wept a little) and wrote some wonderful pieces.

We've grown, over the year. While the structure of the group is the same, and some of us are still working almost entirely on memoir, others have branched out into fiction - both short stories and novels - and others into poetry. We've been submitting work all over the place, and even the sniff of success is celebrated with cake.

It is the writing highlight of my week (yes, every week, during term time.)

Emma, meanwhile, has a very different experience - and here is her bit:


As well as being an author, I have a day job in a library, where I’ve been supporting and coordinating an adult writing group for around 3 years now. The group started out as a wellbeing group, run by another writer, and I took it over when her sessions finished.

We meet monthly, and there is a wide range of ages and interests. So often, people don’t have a space in their lives where they can be creative, so this group aims to give them that. Our main focus is on having fun and trying out new things. The sessions usually consist of short exercises which members can interpret however they want, but there is no pressure to take part if a particular exercise doesn’t inspire, and you don’t have to share your work if you don’t want to.

Alongside the adult group, I run a group for 9-14 year-olds which has been going for around a year now. It follows basically the same format as the adult group, and it’s amazing how well many of the exercises we do suit both groups! And of course, we always have chocolate – it’s essential writing fuel!

Two very different experiences. So, what is yours?

16 comments:

  1. I changed writing groups this year. While the format is basically the same (critiquing before the group discussion - which suits me very well) there are some major differences, the main one being that rewrites are welcomed at the new group. I submitted one piece three times, and each time it benefitted from the comments I received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fab - I agree that help with rewrites is as useful as comments on a first draft. And the group learns from seeing how a piece can evolve from rough and ready to almost polished!

      Delete
  2. I belonged to a local writing group for a couple of years. Then, sadly, the nice man running it retired, and it got 'usurped' by a small group of writers determined to impose their structure and way of doing things. One write hard-core erotica and liked to 'entertain' us with his latest offering. Stuck it out (oops) for a couple of months, then left. TBH I get the support I need from Twitter/FB, or I could post stuff on Wattpad.Not a group person, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame, Carol - I'm not sure I'd want to sit through hard-core erotica (though, in my group, we have been known to have the odd inappropriate titter). I'm glad you find the support you need online - I had a mixed experience with online support, and wouldn't change that for my face to face group now.

      Delete
  3. The best writing group experience I've had was a university writing group. We were all around the same age and most of us liked similar things in terms of genre. Several of us were serious about wanting to be writers. Some just turned up for the biscuits and the company. Generally the sessions were split into two halves - in the first part of the meeting, people who'd bought recent writing would read it out for comments. Then we'd play some silly writing games.

    It was very relaxed and informal. I made some great friends in that group who I still keep contact with. Occasionally, I'll contact some of the group and ask for feedback on a draft. Occasionally it happens the other way round.

    When I left uni and moved to a new town, I tried a new writing group. It was more formal. Although there was a similar pattern of reading out work for critique, I found that very few people in the group read the sort of work I write. I didn't find the meetings nearly as fun or useful. I also found people less inclined to point out the issues with a piece. Everyone was really polite about the good things but tended to shy away from the problems.

    I think writing groups can be amazingly useful but you've got to find the group that's right for you. Some like the relaxed atmosphere. Some need the formal structure. I think it's important that you have someone commenting on your work who reads the genre/style of book you're writing. If that's in a writing group, brilliant. If it's an old friend, that works to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've 'hit it on the head' (forgive the cliche) here - find the group that's right for you. There can't be a formula to please us all, as we have such different needs and ways of learning.

      And yes, a group where you just highlight to good bits is no help at all!

      Delete
  4. I've never belonged to a writing group. It must be great! Sadly, I don't have access to anything like that here in NL as the only groups of this nature for English speakers tend to be in Amsterdam, which is too far for me. I'm not ready for writing in Dutch yet! If ever :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that finding a writing group for English speakers in Amsterdam might not be so easy. (Though there are compensations - it's such a lovely city!)

      Delete
  5. I haven't found a writing group yet, but I have to say it does sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth hunting, to try to find one that works for you - don't give up!

      Delete
  6. The only writing group I found is in town at night and that doesn't appeal to me.There is a local one but it's just for carers,which I find strange.I know I would benefit from one it's just finding it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they have a U3A round you, Anne - they tend to meet during the day. And if they don't have a writing group, you could always start one ... now there's a thought!

      Delete
    2. I've not heard of U3A will have to look into it thanks.

      Delete
    3. Here's the link, Anne - http://www.u3a.org.uk/ - Originally set up for people who have retired and still want to do thinking-things, they're much more flexible now. V active in some areas, but quieter in others - hope they can help you.

      Delete
  7. I've been to both types of groups in the past and have run a group similar to the one that Emma runs. I prefer being in a small group and am now a member of a small group who all write for children. We meet fortnightly, once as a morning critique workshop and once as a sharing lunch where we exchange news and support and try to discuss a children's book that we've read, although the food does get in the way at times!! I approve of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the flexibility of this, Ros - it sounds as if you have the best of all worlds.

      Delete