Sunday 28 April 2013

Why I'm supporting 'No More Page 3'

I can't believe you haven't come across this, but just in case you haven't, it's a pressure group asking (and asking very nicely - there's no ranting, or unpleasantness) the Sun newspaper to stop showing pictures of women wearing nothing but a thong on page 3 of their newspaper. You can find the petition here. And there are websites and merchandise if you're really keen.

(For those of you outside the UK, you may wonder what all this is about. For decades it has been acceptable to print these pictures, in a national newspaper, where everyone can see them. It is part of the Sun brand, if you like. I know, ridiculous, isn't it?)

It seems so blatantly obvious that this is crazy, but, just in case there's anyone who hasn't signed the petition, or it has somehow passed them by, here are my thoughts:

What message are we giving our daughters if their fathers ogle these pictures over the breakfast table? What does this say about their wives and mothers?

At a time when we are encouraging women to be scientists, and engineers, or artists, or writers - here is the Sun reminding us that, before we are any of those things, we have breasts. If we've a chest like that, then we don't need brains. (Or even ideas, or feelings, or anything that makes us individual.)

It's tough for men, negotiating a world in which women are discovering new ways of being. Yet here is the Sun, hanging onto the idea that women are nothing but a body. Is it surprising that some still continue to treat us as commodities when that idea is perpetuated in a national newspaper?

There must be a million other reasons, I'm sure you can think of some.

And, for anyone who needs reminding that women are more than a set of knockers, here is Nina Simone to remind us how wonderful, and complete, we really are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5jI9I03q8E

8 comments:

  1. The petition has passed me by.I agree with all you have said it's hard to believe that we still have page three. I also don't think half naked women should be used on huge billboards across the country to sell everything from perfume to sanitary items, I remember my son asking so many questions about them and that's was thirty years ago I would have hoped we would have moved on a bit by now but not so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So would I, Anne - hard to believe we still need to discuss this! Almost 40 years since Germaine Greer wrote The Female Eunuch and we're still fighting to be seen as more than just bodies.

      Delete
  2. I am thankfully spared from Page 3 and have been for years, but I remember it from before I left the UK in 1980. It's astonishing to think there are still girls who are prepared to bare all for that cheap and dubious honour in any event. I agree totally, Jo. I'm not sure if I will be eligible to sign the petition, but if not, you have my support!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an online petition, Val - so i don't see why you can't sign. But thanks for the support anyway!

      Delete
  3. I hadn't heard about this petition but it certainly is in a good cause. I can't understand how the paper gets away with it in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's archaic, isn't it? Hard to believe it wasn't disposed of years ago.

      Delete
  4. Proud to say I was an early signer of the petition - and so thrilled it is now at nearly 100,000. Hope all your commenters go forth and sign it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've retweeted them etc for weeks now - I can't understand anyone opposing it!

      Delete