Sunday 10 March 2013

65 Things to Do When you Retire - Travel

65 - only 65?

Well, there are 65 in this wonderful book, which includes a piece I've written on taking a gap year.

I know, you're thinking that the government wants you to work till you're 96, by which time you'll have one foot in the grave. But you've got another foot - and than one won't be ready to push up daisies for a while yet. There's a world out there, and it's getting easier and easier to get out in it. Go on,  dust off the suitcases, or the rucksack, or the campervan - and off you go.

(I know, your offspring say you shouldn't. You're wondering if your stomach can cope with too many culinary surprises. What if your knees give way? But you can, you know you can. And do it now, before the government asks you to keep going till you reach a century).

And I think you should buy this book first - it will give you some great ideas, and even steer you round a pitfall or two. Even better, the proceeds go to cancer charities.



You're in the UK - you can buy it here. And those in the US can find it here.

Read it and dream ...

9 comments:

  1. Ordered! I shall read it with anticipation for my freedom :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's packed with ideas, Val - plenty to dream away chilly evenings on your barge.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to buy that for my hubby although he's got a good ten years to go. I was telling him about your travels and he said,"Now why can't you be more like Jo because I'd love to do that and you only want to stay in villas or hotels" Lol! I told him if he wants to go he can as long as he books me into a five star hotel first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so many ideas in this book, from trekking across the desert on a camel to sipping champagne in New York. So there's something for both of you!

      Delete
  4. Hmmm, not sure this book was written with me in mind but as there's an article written by you and as it's for such a worthwhile charity I shall click on the link and get one. Just read Anne's comment and it looks as if me and her are staying in the hotel while the blokes follow your example!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very generous, Ros - thank you. My contribution is tiny, but I'm sure you'll find something that resonates!

      Delete
  5. Purchased! And it looks brilliant. Thank you Jo, I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny - given all your travelling I doubt if there's much you haven't thought if, but it's for a great charity anyway!

      Delete